1. Sometimes high air temperatures meeting cold air moisture cause a sudden but intense and very localised fall of rain. What is this commonly referred to as?
a) a cloudsplosion
b) a cloudpop
c) a clouddrop
d) a cloudburst
2. Heat in summer is often accompanied by very wet air, which can be unpleasant. Which of these words does not describe that wet heavy air feeling?
3. When sunlight strikes a target it casts a shadow on the ground. In a forest there would be many shadows, and this would be an excellent place to rest from the sun. What adjective would a British English speaker use to describe this?
4. What is the expression used to describe an ongoing period of intensely high temperatures over a period of many days?
a) a heat course
b) a hot block
c) a heat trial
d) a heatwave
5. When the weather is extremely hot, it can become difficult to see over long distances because of air movement. What adjective describes this type of day?
6. There is an adjective which describes a perfect summer temperature, not too hot or too cool. What is it?
1) d, 2) c, 3) b, 4) d, 5) a, 6) a.